Wednesday 10 June 2015

Haul | May 2015

I was doing pretty well with my book buying throughout the month of May. However, in the last week or two of the month I was on holiday in a small town which had a charity shop known for it's books. Of course this meant that I had to pay a visit, especially since I was with my grandfather who is just as book obsessed. As you may expect, that visit ended in a lot of books being bought. They were only about £1.50 each and the money was going to charity so that's justified, right?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The Geography Of You And Me by Jennifer E Smith - I made an unplanned trip to a small Waterstones while on a search for The Heir and as I couldn't find what I was looking for, I couldn't leave without a book so picked this one up. I read The Statistical Probability Of Love At First Sight by Jennifer E Smith last summer and really enjoyed it so I want to read more of her work. Also, this book is partly set in Edinburgh and I very rarely read books set in Scotland.

The Heir by Kiera Cass - I was so desperate to get my hands on this book but it turned out to be quite the challenge. There was some kind of problem with the book in the UK meaning that not only did Amazon not have any in stock for weeks, no bookshops had it around here either. I eventually managed to order it on Amazon about two weeks after it was released! This is the fourth book in The Selection series and it is not secret that I loved the first three books.

I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson - I have heard so many people rave about this book so when I saw it on offer on Amazon while I was buying The Heir I decided to add it to the order (hello free delivery over £10!). I don't know very much about this book other than it being about twins and that it seems to make everyone cry. I am not a fan of this cover at all, or the orange page edges, but hopefully the book itself will be good.

Such A Rush by Jennifer Echols - I know absolutely nothing about this book, so why did I pick it up? Well, other than the free deliver on orders over £10 scenario, I like the title, I like the cover, and Goodreads recommended it to me once and that somehow made me really want to read it. This was definitely an impulse buy but hopefully I will enjoy it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Billy & Me by Giovanna Fletcher - I love Giovanna and that is the main reason I want to read her books. I have heard great things about her debut novel, Billy & Me, so I am planning to read her books in publication order. As soon as I seen this I knew I had to get it, especially as it was only £1.50.

I'll Take New York by Miranda Dickinson - I have no idea what this book is about but as soon as my mum saw the title she thrust it in my face and told me to buy it. I have a small, okay not so small, obsession with New York so if a book is set in New York, I'll probably want to read it. 

I Heart New York by Lindsey Kelk - This is similar to the previous book in that I picked it up because of the title mentioning New York. I have heard some great things about this series though, which made me even more eager to check this one out.

Confessions Of A Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella - I have heard so many great things about this series and loads of people have told me I need to read it, including my grandmother! I was slightly put off  this series having watched the film, which I didn't particularly love. I have heard since that the book series is pretty different from the film so I will give it a go.

Shopaholic & Baby by Sophie Kinsella - This is like the fifth book in the Shopaholic series and I wouldn't usually buy the fifth book having not even read the first. However, when I find a hardcover for around £2, I'm not one to pass up that opportunity if it's a book I think I will read in the future.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson - This is a book that I have been wanting to read for years having heard so many good things about it. I bought a copy from ebay a few months ago only to find it was in pretty bad condition, and I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to the condition of books. I remember reading a couple of chapters of this one as a sample a few years ago but remember very little of what it's about.

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater - I was on the fence about whether or not I wanted to read this series, especially as it seems to have very mixed reviews. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about werewolves now, as I haven't read a book featuring werewolves since the Twilight series. I'm going to give it a try as I found the first book for such a good price.

The Luxe by Anna Godberson - I have heard this series described as Gossip Girl with pretty dresses and as a huge Gossip Girl fan, that has me sold. My best friend read this and struggled to get through it but we do have slightly differing taste in books, so I'm hoping this just wasn't her thing but I will like it. I am looking to give historical fiction a go and this seems to be a very good place to start.

Have you read any of the books I bought in May? Do you search charity shops for some good book finds?

Sophie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment