Wednesday 4 May 2016

Wrap Up | April 2016

April has been a blur! How can a month go so fast? I have had a super busy month, involving a lot of concerts (6 to be exact) and a little holiday, but I also finally managed to read more. I think I may finally be out of my reading slump and while I didn't read a huge amount I am definitely getting back on track.

My Life In April...
- I started the month with my last date of the Collabro tour which involved a trip to Grimsby.
- Staying a bit nearer home I then went to see Little Mix, supported by my fave Nathan Sykes.
- Having been rejected from the last uni to respond, I accepted my offer for my first choice university.
- My mum started her chemotherapy treatment, which has been a bit of a rollercoaster.
- I got the chance to meet one of my favourite boybands, Hometown, at a meet-up.
- I then went to see then support my other faves, The Vamps, with one of my best friends.
- The very next day I was lucky enough to meet Hometown again while having lunch in a hotel.
- That same evening I got to meet The Vamps as I had M&G tickets for a second show.
- I then travelled to Manchester with my cousin and met Hometown again at a meet-up there.
- And the main reason for travelling to Manchester, we got the chance to see The Vamps again on their final night of tour.
- Back closer to home again I went to see the amazing 5SOS.
- I ended the month with a little family trip away for the week.

Watched In April...
- Teen Mom OG Season 2 - 3/5
- Pretty Little Liars Season 6B - 4/5
- Grease 3/5

Read In April...

 photo Apr01_zps5aleatqp.jpg

Sea Of Monsters by Rick Riordan -
I read the first book in the Percy Jackson series back in December 2014 so it really was about time I continued on with the series. I really enjoyed the first book and while I did also enjoy the second, I didn't think it was as good. There's never a dull moment in these books and the characters are great. I also really love the Greek mythology aspect. This was a really fun, quick read, just not quite as good as the first in the series. 3/5

Hello, Goodbye And Everything In Between by Jennifer E Smith -
This book follows a couple, Clare and Aidan, on the night before they are separated for college, during which they must decide whether or not to stay together. I loved my first Jennifer E Smith read, but wasn't a huge fan of my second so I wasn't sure what to expect from this. I love books set in one day/night, so that was a huge bonus for this book. I related to this story and to the characters, I really felt for them in this decision and, despite having seen negative comments in various reviews, I completely understand why this was such a big decision that needed to be made. I did have a few issues with this book but overall, I enjoyed it. 3.75/5

The Grownup by Gillian Flynn -
This was a short story written initially for George RR Martin's Rogues anthology, but released alone in 2015. This was very strange, as expected from Gillian Flynn, but upon finishing it felt a little like I had wasted the half hour I spend reading it. The story is extremely odd and the twists are unexpected but I was really a bit bored reading it. Also, I hate open endings to that was a disappointment. 2/5

UnStrung by Neal Shusterman -
This novella is #1.5 in the UnWind series and follows Lev during the time he was separated from the others. Though it had been some time since I read the first book, I did manage to keep up with what was going on (thanks Recaptains for helping me out there). I found this novella quite interesting as it introduced a whole new culture into the UnWind world and, despite the limited number of pages, this was done very well. Neal Shusterman managed to fit a lot into this novella and somehow just 60 pages managed to tug at my heart strings. This isn't a necessary read, I don't think, but I would definitely recommend it if you enjoy the series. 3/5

The Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins -
This has been raved about since way before it was even published last year and has already been turned into a movie, to be released later this year. With all this hype I was quite scared to pick this up but I was so intrigued that I finally gave in. This took me a little while to get into, but once it got into the action I could not put it down. I loved the mystery and how unreliable our main character was, you didn't know what to believe. I really enjoyed this book, there is no question as to why there is so much hype, it is definitely well deserved. 4/5

Blogged In April...
- I wrapped up February & March.
- I hauled the books I accumulated during February & March.

What did you get up to in the month of April? Did you read any great books?

Sophie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment