Thursday 27 April 2017

Mini Review | Perfect by Cecelia Ahern

Image and video hosting by TinyPicPerfect by Cecelia Ahern
Series: Flawed #2
Published On: April 6, 2017
Published By: Harper Collins
Genre: Dystopian
Pages: 428
Format: Hardcover
Source: Bought
Rating: 
★★★★
Amazon | Goodreads

Celestine North is Flawed. 
Ever since Judge Crevan declared her the number one threat to the public, she has been a ghost, on the run with Carrick, the only person she can trust. 
But Celestine has a secret—one that could bring the entire Flawed system crumbling to the ground. A secret that has already caused countless people to go missing. 
Judge Crevan is gaining the upper hand, and time is running out for Celestine. With tensions building, Celestine must make a choice: save just herself or risk her life to save all Flawed people.


[This review contains spoilers for Flawed by Cecelia Ahern]

Good conclusion to the series.
Perfect is the sequel to Flawed and the final book in the Flawed duology. I thought it was a good ending to the duology but felt more like a continuation of the first book rather than a sequel. I really loved the first book and wanted to feel the same about the second but it just wasn't quite as good and I did have a little issue with this book.

Everything I loved in Flawed I loved again.
I went into a lot of detail in my Flawed review about the society, the characters and the underlying messages, as well as why I loved them all so much. When I say a lot of detail I mean that was probably the longest review I've ever written! For that reason I won't go into all the details again. I did love all of those aspects just as much in this second book and I was glad the same underlying messages were still there in this book.

There's never a dull moment.
Just as in the first book, there was never a boring part of this book. There is something happening on every page and a new plan or complication keeping things exciting. I found that this made me fly through chunks of the book in what felt like no time at all and I just wanted to keep reading to see what happened next.

The love triangle strikes again.
As seems to be the norm these days, there was a love triangle aspect of this book that was not a prominent in the first book. I either love or hate a love triangle but luckily I did enjoy it in this book, though I know many others didn't. I think it really illustrated Celestine's struggles and added to the inner conflict she was facing between the life she left behind and the new one she has created. It also played a part in her biggest source of confusion throughout the book of who she could trust. I enjoyed that this love triangle actually seemed to have some purpose within the story rather than just some extra drama.

Everything wrapped up well.
I way very happy with the way things ended in this book and think the way everything was wrapped up was done very well. I had an idea of how things would end but nothing happened in the way I was expecting. Every time I was sure I knew what was coming, something slightly different happened to get to that point. It kept things very interesting and definitely had me turning the pages.

So many things were repeated!
This was my main issue with this book. I completely understand that in a sequel there is a need to recap some main things that happened in the book before. However, in this book everything seemed to be recapped multiple times. I'm sure I must have been reminded of the sixth brand and how it happened at least five times throughout the book, which wasn't necessary. I know it's a small thing that may seem easy to ignore but it did start to annoy me and began to take away from my enjoyment of the book.

Overall, this was a good conclusion to a great duology. I adore Cecelia Ahern's writing and she has proven she can write anything, including YA dystopian. I really hope she will write more YA books in future, I would love to see what else she can come up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment