Tuesday 18 April 2017

Top Ten Tuesday | Top Ten Things That Will Make Me Instantly Pick Up A Book

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke And The Bookish. Lists galore, I can think of nothing better!

This week's theme is top ten things that will make you instantly pick up a book. Obviously there are many factors that influence whether or not I want to read a book, but there are a few things that instantly grab my attention.

1. A favourite author
If a book is by an author I have previously read and loved, I'm definitely going to add it to my TBR. A few of these auto-buy authors for me are Cecelia Ahern, Kasie West & Stephanie Perkins.

2. A beautiful cover
This isn't a factor that will guarantee I want to read a book but it definitely attracts my attention initially. I'm definitely a big cover buyer and many of the books on my shelves are there because of there covers. Beautiful Broken Things by Sara Barnard and Strictly Between Us by Jane Fallon are prime examples of that.

3. Airport/airplane settings
I have a strange love of airports and flying so any book set in an airport or involving a plane journey will peak my interest straight away. I really need to find more books like this but my favourite at the moment is The Statistical Probability Of Love At First Sight by Jennifer E Smith.

4. Epistolaries
Books written in letters, emails, diary entries and similar things just seem to be something I really enjoy. One of my favourite books Where Rainbows End by Cecelia Ahern is written entirely in letters, emails, IMs, newspaper articles and I loved that format.

5. Christmas
If a book is set around Christmas or involved Christmas in any way I am all over it. Christmas is my favourite time of year so the more Christmas stuff the better. I read What Light by Jay Asher last Christmas and it was exactly what I wanted.

6. Children/Younger Siblings
This might seem like a strange one but if a book, particularly in NA, revolves around a character having kids or younger siblings it makes me way more likely to read it. I just love reading about little kids and especially close older/younger sibling relationships, which could be something to do with me always wanting a sibling. Ignite by Lily Paradis and I Want It That Way by Ann Aguirre are both books with great kids and that aspect really added to these stories for me.

7. Summer
There is nothing I love more than a summery contemporary to enjoy during the summer months. If the synopsis hints at summer adventures, beach trips and a bit of romance thrown in you can pretty much guarantee I want to read it. Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson is one of my favourites of this kind but I can't wait to read more this summer.

8. Hate-To-Love
I know this is a really over-done romance trope but I just love it. This is one that's a bit hit or miss as it can quite often not be done so well, but when it's done well I adore it. I particularly loved this in The DUFF by Kody Keplinger and PS I Like You by Kasie West.

9. College Setting
As a university student, this is just a relatable situation for me. I had a terrible uni experience the first time around so I really like reading about great experiences to make me forget about my first experience. I really loved the college setting in A Little Something Different by Sandy Hall.

10. New York City
My favourite place in the world! I obviously love this city as a setting since I love it so much. It's also partly the setting of one of my favourite books, Isla And The Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins.

What makes you instantly pick up a book? I would love some recommendations based on the things I have mentioned so please let me know if you have any.

Sophie :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi! So many good ones- college, hate to love, covers, NYC! I love all those :)
    My TTT
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coming up with this list definitely made me remember a lot of great things I love in books, like college and NYC! I want to read books with all of these now!

      Delete