Friday 30 June 2017

Let's Talk | Rereading Books



I've recently been really in the mood for rereading and even though I want to focus on reading books that meet my challenges and goals for the year, I do want to get to some rereads throughout the second half of the year. I don't reread a lot of books, maybe a couple a year, but I have a list of those I want to get to.

I have a few different reasons for wanting to reread books and I thought it would be interesting to see other people's reasons. I thought I would share some of the books I want to reread and discuss my reasons why I want to.

1. Love of the book
This one is the obvious reason for rereading a book. If you love a book you want to experience it over and over again, or at least I do. There are so many books I wish I could read for the first time again but since that isn't possible, rereading will have to do. A lot of the books I want to reread fall into this category but right now I'm desperate to reread Where Rainbows End (Love, Rosie) by Cecelia Ahern, which you may have seen me mention as my all time favourite book, and The Selection by Kiera Cass.

2. Continuing a series
I am awful for leaving it years between books in a series. I have just read the second book in the Vampire Academy series two years after reading the first book and, as you can probably imagine, I remembered very little. On this occasion I made use of Recaptains rather than rereading the first book but I often choose to reread a book in a series to refresh my memory. I really need to do this with UnWind and UnWholly by Neal Shusterman before continuing with that series.

3. Rediscovering childhood favourites
A couple of years ago I finished the Confessions of Georgie Nicholson series by Louise Rennison that I had started to read when I was quite young. I had wanted to reread and then continue with the books in this series to see if I enjoyed it as much now as I had when I was younger. This then reminded me of a few other books that I loved in my childhood and early teenage years that I would love to pick up again. One of these is a book I fell in love with as a 12 year old, Deeper Than Blue by Jill Hucklesby.

4. Change of opinion
Kind of following on from the last reason, I like to reread books to see if my opinion has changed a few years later. The first book I did this with was Twilight by Stephenie Meyer as I expected my opinion on this book to change now that I was older and has read a lot more. My opinion actually didn't change in that case and I loved it just as much, though much of that was nostalgia I think, but I think it would be different with other books. I want to reread the rest of the Twilight books as well as the Divergent series to see if my opinion on those books change.

5. Assigned reading
I don't know about you but as much as I loved to read while I was in school, I did not love to read anything that was assigned. I hated everything I read for school but I think that was really only because I wasn't choosing to read those things or reading them for pleasure. Some of those books now sound quite interesting to me and I would like to give them another go. Two I know I want to reread soon are Goodnight Mr Tom by Michelle Magorian, which will definitely happen really soon,  and Of Mice And Men by John Steinbeck.

Do you like to reread books? If you do, why do you choose to reread? I would love to know if you reread books for other reasons, they might give me ideas of other books I want to pick up again.

Sophie :)

2 comments:

  1. Great list! I re-read usually because I loved the book or want to continue in the series and need a re-fresher. I've found that I can't really re-read print copies of books. I have to do the audio. And I usually re-read while doing something else because I know the story well and just want to listen in casually while I work on something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't actually reread via audiobook but I really should give it a go!

      Delete