Monday 31 July 2017

Mini Review | Frostbite by Richelle Mead

Image and video hosting by TinyPicFrostbite by Richelle Mead
Series: Vampire Academy #2
Published On: April 10, 2008
Published By: Penguin
Genre: Paranormal
Pages: 327
Format: Paperback
Source: Bought
Rating: ★★★½

Amazon | Goodreads

A massive vampire attack has put St Vladimir's Academy on high alert. With the deadly creatures closing in, this year's trip to the wintery peaks of Idaho has just become mandatory. 
But Rose Hathaway can't escape her (guy) troubles. Her relationship with gorgeous tutor Dmitri can never be and her closest friend has just confessed his huge crush on her ... 
The Glittering Winter Landscape May Seem Like The Perfect Hideaway - But Rose, And Her Heart, Are In More Danger Than She Ever Imagined.

Better than book one.
I enjoyed the first book in the Vampire Academy series but I think I liked this one just a little bit more. It was a fun, quick read and 'I really enjoyed revisiting the characters I grew to really like in the first book.

Interesting plot.
I thought the main plot of this instalment was very interesting and enjoyable. I found the attacks to be particularly interesting, especially seeing how they happened and how the characters chose to respond. It was quite different to the first book in that we got to see more of the vampire world outwith the school and were given more of an insight into the Strigoi.

Rose and Dimitri. Rose and Dimitri. Rose and Dimitri!!
Basically I needed more Rose and Dimitri. Can you tell I'm a fan? For me there wasn't nearly enough of their sexual tension and forbidden connection. Rose had too many other love interests in this book that she just didn't have time for Dimitri and that frustrated me a little.

Rose and Lissa!
Again, there wasn't enough Rose and Lissa for me either. I really loved their friendship in the first book but they both seemed to be too busy with other people, once again Rose's many love interests, to be spending time together. Their friendship is really adorable so I definitely hope to see more of it in the next book.

Great character introductions.
Speaking of Rose's many love interests, I really loved the introduction of Adrian. He seems a little bit shady but I thought he was hilarious and he did make me swoon just a little. I definitely want to see more of him in the future. I also really liked the introduction of Rose's mother. Rose's issues surrounding her mother made for an interesting addition to the story and I thought they explained a lot of things about her character.

Really great setting.
As much as I absolutely love the boarding school setting, I really loved the ski lodge setting in this book. Not only did I find it quite nostalgic of my own past skiing trips, I thought it made a great backdrop for everything that went on. It did remind me a little bit of a One Tree Hill episode at times, which made for an interesting reading experience. Though I really enjoyed it, I missed having the school as the main setting and am hoping to return to the school setting in the next book.

Overall, I think this series is improving with each book but it is still not up there with my favourite series. It's a fun series and I can fly through the books but there's something missing from me. There were a lot of things I really enjoyed about this book but definitely things I hope are different in the next book. I am interested in seeing how this series improves so I know I want to pick up the next book soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment