Wednesday 23 May 2018

TBR | YALC 2018


Something crazy exciting is happening this year; I'm going to YALC!! For anyone who doesn't know, YALC is the Young Adult Literature Convention held in London at the end of July. I've wanted to go for the past couple of years but it has never worked out. I'm so excited to finally be able to go this year and experience the excitement for myself, especially as there are some really great authors attending. 

As there are several authors attending YALC whose books I have not yet read, I have made myself a TBR list of the books I most want to get to. I have already made a start to my YALC reading so a couple of the books that were on my TBR, such as I Have Lost My Way by Gayle Forman and Starfish by Akemi Dawn Bowman, I have already managed to tick off. As of right now I have a somewhat ambitious TBR of 10 books that I really hope to get to in the next two months. I'm not entirely sure that will happen but I'll try my hardest.

1. Eve Of Man by Tom & Giovanna Fletcher - This was one of the author announcements I was most excited about. I love Tom & Gi and was thrilled when they announced their first novel together, Eve Of Man. This is the first book in a dystopian series about the first girl born in 50 years. I am currently reading this and enjoying it so far, I can't wait to see where the story goes.

2. Super Awkward by Beth Garrod - I hadn't heard anything about this book or author until the YALC announcements but as soon as I read the synopsis I was interested. This book just sounds hilarious. It follows a teenage girl who is very awkward and geeky and is trying to navigate life and love. I'm expecting this to be a really fun read.

3. The Truth And Lies Of Ella Black by Emily Barr  - To be quite honest, I don't have a clue what this book is about. I read the first chapter and still was none the wiser but I'm pretty sure this is one of those books that you go into knowing very little. I haven't heard too many great things about this book but I want to give it a go.

4. Solitaire by Alice Oseman - I've had this book on my shelf for a few years now and never picked it up. Now, though, YALC has given me a reason to finally give it a go. This is another one that I know nothing about but I have heard so many amazing things about this book, and this author in general, so I'm excited for this one.

5. Beautiful Broken Things by Sara Barnard - Again, I have owned this for years and not yet gotten around to reading it. Sara Barnard is another author I have heard great things about, I don't know why I haven't read any of her books yet. All I know of this book is that it is about friendship and follows two best friends as a new girl at school joins their friendship group.

6. Toxic by Nicci Cloke - This one isn't actually being published until the weekend of YALC but I was lucky enough to be accepted for an ARC of it from Netgalley and I can't wait to read it. It is about a girl who is tagging along on a boys holiday, with a group that includes her ex-boyfriend, when things turn toxic. This definitely sounds like my kind of book.

7. The Art Of Being Normal by Lisa Williamson - Yet another book I have had on my shelf for years and haven't picked up. This book follows a boy who wants to be a girl and a boy who wants to be invisible. I haven't read any books with transgender protagonists so I'm looking forward to finally getting around to this one.

8. The Summer Of Us by Cecelia Vinesse - This is another one I was lucky enough to get an ARC of and I'm so excited to read it as it involves travelling around mainland Europe! This book follows five friends as they spend ten days together travelling around Europe and, I assume, trying to work out all of their complicated relationships.

9. Big Bones by Laura Dockrill - I picked this one up on a whim without realising that Laura Dockrill was going to be at YALC, so now I guess I just have to read it before then. I've heard great things about this book, but all I really know about it is that the main characters is overweight. I have heard that this is a very refreshing, positive book so I am excited to see what I think.

10. The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon - I know absolutely nothing about this book but it is available through my library audiobook service so I would like to try and give it a go if I have the time. This is probably the book I'm least likely to get to, but I have heard some really great things about it so I would definitely like to read it eventually.

Those are the books at the top of my YALC TBR. I doubt I'll get to all of them but I'll make a good effort. If anyone has been to YALC before, please leave me some top tips as I am a first timer so don't really know what to expect.

Which of these books should I make my top priorities? If you're going to YALC this year, what books are at the top of your TBR?

Sophie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment